Monday, January 24, 2011

Sacrifice?

I am often bewildered by how much it takes, costs, and draws out of a person when it comes to planting a church. I was talking to a fellow church planter who said to me, "If you are going to start a church, make sure you are wearing your spiritual cup!" Of course his reference was to the many bumps and bruises along the way to accomplish what God has called us to. At this stage in the game, I can tell you a few stories, oh yeah! Holy cow can I tell you stories of sacrifice...and transition, and loneliness, and discouragement, and frustration, etc... But is it really any different for anyone really trying to do something for God? And are there not just as many rewarding if not better things than the rough stuff we face?

One pastor asked me how I was doing and I jokingly said, "Well, we just need more people and more money." :-) He replied, "Me too!" Is it really any different what we pastors need and pray that God will give us? Nope! Pastors serve a risen Savior who we love to serve and pray that He will bless us according to efforts and sacrifice. Is it wrong to think that or pray that way? Are we really "sacrificing" when Jesus said this, "I tell you the truth...no one who has left home or wife or brothers or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God will fail to receive many times as much in this age and, in the age to come, eternal life." (Luke 18:29-30) So if we have a promise like this, are we really sacrificing? I would say, No. We are being obedient and God will take care of us. It even sounds to me like we are rewarded in this life and in heaven. Are you reading this the same way I am?

This is a great boost for me on a Monday morning! Mondays can be a day to look at things very negatively but when I read this, I know I just need to stop being a baby, right? Another very precious promise in the Bible that seems to support this idea is this, "and let us not be weary in well doing, for in due season we shall reap if we faint not." (Galatians 6:9)

Hope you are making sacrifices today because they are certainly rewarded!

No comments:

Post a Comment