Monday, January 10, 2011

Consumer Christianity

I came across the term Consumer Christianity during my last associate pastor position and it has become a great term to describe a lot of ways Christians seem to view the church. Today it is as if we have to measure up to some expectation of church experiences or "stuff"that has nothing to do with the real basics of church, Christianity or what Jesus came to die for! It is remarkable that the western church culture insists that a church have specific services to meet their needs. For instance, I led an outreach basketball program that was intended to reach the community, families and see some come to Christ. I was bothered when someone thanked me for having an "alternative" basketball program for their kids. They were pleased that there was a Christian experience for their Christian kids. Though this is good (maybe), it was not the intention of the program. The same goes for Christian school perhaps and the list can go on and on... How much to we accomodate and our people and children never experience hardcore faith and practice?

In preparation for starting a church, I took in quite a few conferences and things to prepare for this journey. The latest work of Hugh Halter challenged my thinking in several ways including how much we offer here in western culture and church as opposed to eastern cultures and faiths. Our church start has had to scrape back to the basics of church which is something I have not had to consider since the early days of ministy in Canada with my father. Burlington Communtih Church has one big addition...Coffee and Donuts! I would have to say this is probably not an ordained part of church experience but we like it.

Though I would like to guard against this consumer Christiantiy mentality in our church, I find myself having to do so personally. I can get caught up in all the things our church "doesn't have"that I don't appreciate what we DO have! I can complain about things and try to make changes that would be more comfortable but that is not what it is about. What am I willing to give up of my current experiences in church development? Am I frustrated with what has or hasn't happened? And then...am I trying to create and do things and are not even necessary and adding to the comsumer Christian phenomenon? Tough!

Then...I am reminded that MY expectations are not what God is about. My daughters do not have a youth group in our new church, but they are growing! We sang in another church plant in our area on Sunday afternoon and what a blessing it was to see their gifts and talents used beyond our church. I spent 20 minutes with my daughters last night answering a bunch of questions they had as they were reading through thier Bibles together. That's good, right? Though we have not catered to thier need for a youth group, they are growing and serving. I am a very proud dad!
So I ask myself, is it too easy for ME to get caught up in that? How do I encourage our church to press forward and not get messed up in consumerism when I face it myself? All I can to is pray and be faithful. God will give us the talent and passion for ministries He wants us to have in His time. I pray for wisdom to recognize them and courage to make them happen. I don't want to be a consumer or do things just because that is the way I used to do it or another church I know does it that way. But I do want to do what God is directing me to do and challenge our church family everyday with "what can we do more?" and "are we ready for visitiors?" That is what has been our focus in January. Shaping a core team for a huge impact!

No comments:

Post a Comment