Monday, December 13, 2010

Relationships, Relationships!

We have had to learn how important it is to keep building relationships since we have begun this church here in Burlington. It is a test of patience for sure! We have been meeting a lot of people and inviting them to church or to come to our home for a visit. We are having some success but I am looking for the day when all these relationships lead somewhere. You know what I mean?

We had a great Christmas Open House last evening. We started at 4p.m. and the last guests left at 10:30. It was a great time with a mixture of church families and neighbors. If you know Tracey, you know what a wonderful cook she is. We do pretty good at throwing a party and making people feel welcome. We pray continually for the salvation of our new friends and others we are meeting.

You just never know what a relationship may become down the road. My wife and I go back and forth about a few people on our BC3 email list who visited our church once, showed a lot of interest then, but have never returned. I keep them on the list because, they are not enemies. And...you never know when something will change in their lives and they are willing to come be a part of a great church God is building here in Burlington. I am just blessed that they took the time to show some interest at all. They are our "honored guests." Remember that phrase in church when referring to visitors. ;-)

I have had to remind myself to be interested in people and not in building the work. Too many people have hidden agendas for relationships and I just need to be genuine. I read a tweet from Rick Warren that simply said, "Stop trying to be interesting to people and be interested in people." It was very profound and something I will never forget. Out of my own need to be liked and appreciated, I spout off all kinds of things I think will impress or catch attention but miss any kind of impact.

Sadly, I compare who I am today in building relationships vs. my past. I come to very lonely conclusions. I find myself wishing I took more time to be interested in others...maybe I would be reaping the paybacks now. We always had fun, good parties (as we still do), but too many shallow experiences that were more about the fun than the interest in those around me.

I am different today. Trying to build relationships in which I have invested genuine interest. Trying to show a love and concern with the passion Christ would have for me. "Relationships are everything, the rest is just the details," as Gary Smalley would say.

Relationships...I want mine to be genuine, sincere, reciprocated, respected, and cherished. Know anyone out there who needs a relationship like that. Maybe ALL of us! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment