Friday, July 2, 2010

Canada Day Event

Well, we did it! Our first outreach event was a success! We had invited several neighbors to come and spend Canada Day with us and had a total of 11 of us there. We decided to "play our strong suit" which is that of hospitality. Tracey and I did a cookout. The weather could not have been better and the guests any nicer. We were able to enjoy the company and talk about what we will be doing in August. The guests stayed for 4 1/2 hours so we were certainly pleased with the fact that they were comfortable around us. I pray they will come to Christ and to Burlington Community Church.

When we were inviting neighbors to the cookout, I asked one lady if they wanted to come over and grill with us on Canada Day. She said, "Eeewww...what's that?!" Pretty funny, right? As I was explaining she said, "Oh, you mean BBQ" and laughed at me! :-) I'm still being reeducated to Canadian ways, but she came with her husband and 2 young kids.

We are grateful for a good turn out though Satan was at work even that day. My daughters stayed a few days with their cousins in PA so I left that morning to go get them. It was a simple enough task but when I go to the border, I sat for 4 hours! My sister was kind and loving enough to keep coming my direction rather than the half way point we designated. She ended up coming all the way to the border with the girls. I left the house at 9:30a.m. and returned with Ceilidh and Sarah at 4:40p.m. with guest due to arrive at 5:00p.m. NOT what we had planned and potentially very defeating. Thankfully Tracey was home to keep moving on things and the girls and I were home just in time to help clean a few things, put sodas on ice, pull out little kids' toys and fire up the grill. Incredible obstacles but we got through it and Tracey was the key player in that first outreach event.

We look forward to seeing what God will do with us in the future and can't wait to have our friends and family come to help us get the word out during Vision TO Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment