Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Little somethin' somethin' about my dad...

So...if you follow me on facebook and/or twitter, you have noticed a lot of verses in Proverbs. I have posted them because they speak to my heart and give great wisdom and guidance to any who would hear them. As a matter of fact, Solomon said that in proverbs several times...and he was the main author!

A co-worker said to me yesterday, "So, you reading through the book of Proverbs Pastor Roy?" And as a matter of fact, I am. This book has always been my favorite. I cannot tell you how many times I have used its wisdom. Sometimes even in a negative way...like when someone doesn't follow through on a promise. I love using the proverb, "an unfaithful man is like a loose tooth or a foot out of joint!" Those people love it when I quote that verse to them! :-)

So...where did my love for Proverbs come from? Well, I grew up going to a small Christian School in Canada. My father was the principal, administrator, and eventually even the pastor of that church and school. He wore all 3 hats! Suffice to say, "grass did not grow under his feet." One thing he always led at school was the opening devotion and prayer with the staff and students. It was only 5 - 10 min. long and he always used passages from Proverbs. I remember sitting there and soaking in the verses and brief commentary saying to myself, I hope I can be that wise or gain enough wisdom to do the right thing all the time. Dad loves Proverbs and passed that love along to his oldest son and I would dare say to all who listened to him day after day. I love my father for passing along that wisdom and giving of his time to others. I pray I am passing wisdom along to my family and those around me.

If you are not gaining wisdom from Proverbs, start today. If you're thinking you'll pass on that one, let me give you one old Canadian expression..."Smarten up, eh!" a.k.a. don't be so stupid. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment