Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Catching A Break

My wife and I were on our way into the office today and discussing our plans for the future in Toronto and what we needed to do this week at Fair Oaks Church. We have gone through a very busy fall and began talking about a break this Christmas. Since the end of August, I have pushed our family into a busy season. Much of it was my own design of what I felt was necessary. Because of that, I have not been myself in many ways. I am a very happy content person but I have been very busy, very tense and very frustrated at times this fall. It was getting to the point that my wife and daughters were concerned about what mood I was in or what small thing could throw me into a fit. This is not like me at all. I stretched myself to the limits and can confidently say I know I will not frustrate my family this way again.

Tracey and I got a little break this weekend. During the snow storm on Saturday, we spent most of the day in the house with no kids! We watched the snow fall, enjoyed the fireplace and even watched the movie It's A Wonderful Life together. I decided to make time for my wife and I am very glad I did. It gave us an opportunity to talk and for me to get the wake up call about the type of person I had been lately. Tracey told me that it was great to have me back. This was rough to hear but I completely understood. I kept telling myself that it was just a busy time and it will all change. Do you know what I needed to ask myself? What if it doesn't change? I am going to Toronto to start a church and that is a lot of work! I will be as busy as I am now so I need to learn to deal with it.

Has much changed? No, I am still pretty busy but I am giving my family a break so we can "serve the Lord with gladness and come before his presence with singing." This happens when I change who I am because I can only change me. You know what I am saying?

If you have found yourself busy and frustrated like I have been, catch a break. Decide to change the person only you can change and watch the difference it makes in your life and those around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment