Monday, November 16, 2009

Getting clear, solid details for my wife and kids

Do you know what it's like to lead something that you are not an expert in, trying to learn and lead your family as you "explore together?" It is a challenge I will tell you that. As we press forward in establishing a life in Burlington, Ontario just outside Toronto, we have had a few moments along the way. If you know my wife, she is a delightful, energetic person who holds back no punches. What she always says is that she doesn't have to be in charge but she needs to know someone is in charge and that there is a plan. For the last year, I could give her nothing but "living by faith." :-) I would tell her my thoughts, what to expect and some of the plans for the church and its government structure...very comforting, right! :-) Though these were good conversations, I know her frustration is in wanting to know all the where, when and how answers. God has been giving us that as we go. It is one of those things you would love for God to just snap His fingers and everything is in place.

Next week, we are going to get some clear solid plans in order. We are going with a realtor to find the right neighborhood to live in, visit the high school my daughters will attend, meet with a school administrator about a rental possibility for the church, line up some great rates for hotel and sightseeing, and get the paper work and details for securing the name Burlington Community Church. We are also going to be asked to be pulled over at the Canadian border. Yes, you heard that right. We want to talk face to face with an immigration officer to find out exactly what we need to to to bring me over the border. Tracey is Canadian and the paper work is in for my daughters to be Canadian as well. This will give them dual citizenship. We just need to find out what to do with me. This is a question my wife and daughters have been asking for years! :-)

We have also been learning from a couple different church planting sources. One has great resources and the other has a network of Canadians. We are learning a lot and gathering materials for the our home church, Fair Oaks Church, and putting together some cultural, missions and evangelism tools for training this spring. I am using these ministries for training, network and development because my biggest fear, yes (vivid, heart pounding, loss of sleep, high blood pressure) FEAR, is that I get up there and suck! I know I can get all the materials and planning together and still fail but at least I'll know why! :-) You know what I mean... And here it is for my family, I am just as anxious about not knowing fully what to do but lets DO IT! With all our heart, soul and mind.

As always, we are very humbled and comforted by all the encouragement and support of our church. Your continued trust in what we are getting ready to do is like saying "go get em!" And how could we not feel that charge ahead spirit when our church will be completely supporting us financially and through prayer, many workers, details, and short term missions trips along the way. This will be an incredible journey together!

So what is my purpose in this blog? Please pray for us as we travel next week to get all the solid, clear details we need so the rest of our work this year has a good target to hit. We want to start seeing all the details so we have a plan, a list we can start checking off as God provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment